About Me

My photo
After many people telling me that I'm "crafty", I decided to start my own blog. I hope to to inspire others to find their crafty side. I love crafting, decorating, scrapbooking, cooking and cupcaking. I love anything related to holidays and seasons. I hope my readers will find my posts useful and fun! Enjoy!
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Almond Wild Rice


I found this yummy recipe for Almond Wild Rice on All Recipes.  I made a few slight changes to the original recipe but overall it was a very good side dish!

Ingredients:
5 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided

1 cup golden raisins (I used regular raisins, cranberries might also work well)

6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided (see my suggestions below for decreasing the butter)

1 cup uncooked wild rice
1 cup uncooked brown rice

1 cup slivered almonds

1/2 cup minced fresh parsley

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

First bring 1/2 cup of broth to a boil. Once boiling remove from the heat and add raisins and set aside.  Do not drain extra raisin sauce.


Then in a large saucepan, bring 3 cups of broth and 2 tablespoons of butter to a boil. (You could really reduce the butter here if desired.)  Add wild rice; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until the rice is tender.

In another saucepan add the brown rice, 2 tablespoons butter (again butter could be decreased) and 2 cups of broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until rice is tender.

In a skillet, saute the almonds in remaining butter until lightly browned.  Next time, I think I would toast them in the oven so they wouldn't be so greasy or at least decrease the butter. 

 In a serving bowl, combine the wild rice, brown rice, raisin mixture, almonds, parsley, salt and pepper.
Yum! A couple things I don't like about this recipe...it uses 3 saucepans at once which creates a lot of dishes to clean.  It also takes almost an hour for the wild rice to cook so this isn't a quick dinner.  It makes a great side dish for many meals! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment