About Me

My photo
After many people telling me that I'm "crafty", I decided to start my own blog. I hope to to inspire others to find their crafty side. I love crafting, decorating, scrapbooking, cooking and cupcaking. I love anything related to holidays and seasons. I hope my readers will find my posts useful and fun! Enjoy!
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Yummy Mexican Restaurant Rice


At last I can get back to blogging!  I have done so many projects and cooked so many recipes but haven't had time to sit down and write everything up!  This semester I had 5 classes as well as student teaching 3 days a week so all of my computer time was used for writing lesson plans and papers!  I'm looking forward to getting back into blogging and finally getting into PINTEREST

 I thought I'd start back up with this yummy mexican restaurant style rice.  My boyfriend and I love to go out to Mexican and the rice has to be my favrotie thing (as well as a Margarita). Everytime we make taco salad or enchaladas at home, we would buy that spanish rice in a box or microwavable pouch and in my opinion that rice terrible!  I was determined to figure out how the mexican restaurants do it.  I found a recipe tweeked it a little and it is worth it! 
The only bad thing about this rice is that it is takes 25- 30 minutes so I often get impatient and have to resist the urge to stir it.  I usually make a double or triple batch and freeze it so that when we are in a hurry I can just reheat it.  It freezes pretty well and tastes pretty good the second time around. 

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped onion (I usually add a little extra)
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth


 Saute the chopped onions in vegetable oil over medium heat for a few minutes to soften them. 

 Add in the rice and stir.

 






Then add in the garlic salt and cumin.


Constantly stir over medium heat until the rice puffs and is golden brown.   
  I usually do mine over low to medium because this burns very easy.  Don't stop stiring!

Stir in the chicken broth and tomato sauce. 


 Bring it to a boil. 

 Reduce heat and cover.  Simmer for 20-25 minutes. Don't stir it, just let it simmer and absorb the liquid. Don't get impatient or the rice will be hard. 

 When it is done, remove from heat and lightly fluff with a fork. 

Serve and enjoy!  I served mine with enchaladias and beans. 

I also froze half of our enchaladias and half the rice for another meal.  Make sure to remove all the air from your bags to prevent freezer burn. 



No comments:

Post a Comment