About Me

My photo
After many people telling me that I'm "crafty", I decided to start my own blog. I hope to to inspire others to find their crafty side. I love crafting, decorating, scrapbooking, cooking and cupcaking. I love anything related to holidays and seasons. I hope my readers will find my posts useful and fun! Enjoy!
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Memorial Day/4th of July Wreath

 Materials:   2 Rolls of red and blue ribbon (Dollar Tree), Star Garland (Dollar Tree), Pennant (Target dollar rack), roll of white tule (which I had from a previous project) and a wooden wreath base (Dollar Tree). 
 I spray painted the base of the wreath red. While the paint was drying I took the spools of ribbon & tule and cut them into strips.  I cut the strips at varying lengths from 8-12 inches. All the cuts were apporximate because I wanted varying lengths of ribbon. The number of strips you will need will vary depending on the size of your wreath.   

 After the paint was dry I tied the ribbon around the wreath base.  I tied them on with just a basic
double knot. I alternated blue and red leaving around an inch (just eye ball it) in between each ribbon tie. 
 


 After tying on all the ribbons, I started wrapping the wreath with the garland in empty spaces I left in between the ribbon.  The garland is very flexiable and wraps easily but just to secure it, I put a dab of hot glue in between each ribbon knot. 
 After securing the garland I added the white tule.  I only had about 8 pieces of cut tule so I just tied them on around the wreath by eye balling the spacing. 
 This is where a Cricut would have come in handy (hoping to get one this summer). Scrapbooking stickers or cut outs would have also worked but I didn't have any in black.  I went very basic with this part and just wrote out the words "Happy Memorial Day" as shown above with a felt tip pen on white cardstalk.  I went over all the letters to make them fat block letters. 

After writing out the letters, I cut out the words individually and used a glue stick to glue them horizontally on the pennant.  I secured the pennant on the wreath by punch a hole in each on of the pennant and tieing to the wreath.  I also made a pennant for 4th of July so that I can use the wreath for both holidays.  Pennnts have been around forever but seem to be a popular item lately in craft and decorating world. 

The final product!  I'm very happy with how it turned out and I am so glad that I can use it for both Memorial Day and 4th of July!  It is very patriotic and perfect for both holidays! USA!   

No comments:

Post a Comment