About Me

My photo
After many people telling me that I'm "crafty", I decided to start my own blog. I hope to to inspire others to find their crafty side. I love crafting, decorating, scrapbooking, cooking and cupcaking. I love anything related to holidays and seasons. I hope my readers will find my posts useful and fun! Enjoy!
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Kabob cupcakes! Yes, there IS a cupcake for every theme!

Yesterday I posted a recipe for Marinated Chicken Kabobs that I served at a cookout we hosted this weekend. Well of course I just had to find matching cupcakes to go with it.  There are many different BBQ themed cupcakes but these Kabob ones seemed so fitting given the menu!  Here is how I made them...


You need 24 of your favorite cupcakes.  I used yellow cake since it is my family's favorite with chocolate frosting.  You also need the following ingredients:
Kraft Carmels
Chocolate Frosting
Vanilla Frosting tinted gray with a very small amount of black food coloring
Orange, yellow and red sprinkles
Box of Mike & Ikes
Toothpicks
Cupcake liners (I used the aluminium ones so that it looked more like a "grill")


 First I frosted all the cupcakes with chocolate frosting. 

Then I created a "sprinkle station" on a paper plate.  I had an almost empty red container of sprinkles so rather than have to sprinkle each cupcake with three different jars of sprinkles, I just added a little orange and yellow to the red container so I could just sprinkle with one container. 

 Then I took my vanilla frosting (that was tinted gray with a small amount of black food coloring) and I used an icing bag to go around the edge of each cupcake and then put lines across to make the metal "grill" grid.  *See the final product pic to see the "grill" grid in more detail.
 (Honestly I wasn't thrilled about how my "grill" lines came out.  I should have used my Wilton cake decorator but I ran out of time before our friends were supposed to arrive and had to be quick.  Next time I will be sure to leave more time to do the "grill" lines because I think they really make the cupcakes but that is the way entertaining goes...always too much to prepare and not enough time!)

Lastly I added the "Kabobs" made by skewering pieces of carmel (chicken) and the Mike n Ikes (bell peppers, pineapple & veggies) on a toothpick and then laid one "Kabob" across each "grill". 
There you have it! 

Don't forget to check back tomorrow as I share a cute summer project for kids!

Linking up to these blogs:
http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/ 

1 comment: