About Me

My photo
After many people telling me that I'm "crafty", I decided to start my own blog. I hope to to inspire others to find their crafty side. I love crafting, decorating, scrapbooking, cooking and cupcaking. I love anything related to holidays and seasons. I hope my readers will find my posts useful and fun! Enjoy!
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Robot Day!



Last week I showed you the Summer Bucket List I made with the kids that I nanny and this week I am going to show you our "Robot Day".  This week one of the two kids I nanny was at sleep away camp all week...now what to do with the boy to entertain him all week?  We ended up staying busy with my next door neighbor and her kids but I needed something to do on the day that they couldn't get together.  Every time we go to the library he loves to find the Robot books.  It is the first thing he asks for when we get to the library.  We headed to the library and came home with 4 Robot books... 


We read the Robot books...


 then he drew a Robot picture on a piece of large drawing paper while I got the supplies ready to make our Robot cupcakes. 

Robot Cupcakes...
In my previous entry called Oh, the Joys of Cupcaking I showed you some of the cupcakes I have made from my favorite cupcake book series called Hello Cupcake.  This Robot idea also came from that series.   




 Tomorrow I will post the full tutorial on how to make these cupcakes so check back if you would like to see how to make these step by step. 

Robot Recyclables

 Next we gathered some recyclables... 


and I spray painted them. I'd actually recommend doing this a day ahead of time to allow proper drying time.  Not my best spray paint job for sure but it was HOT and I also had a 5 year old drilling me with questions about the spray painting process!


Then we cut a Pringles can in half which we used as the legs...

and we covered them in tin foil. 


Then we used a blue plastic mini trash can from the Dollar Tree (the only thing I bought for the entire project) and covered the top with poster board and tin foil...


Then we wrapped the base of the trash can in tin foil and I used hot glue to attach the body parts as the 5 year old gave directions about where each part should go. 

 

Then we added some pom pom buttons, a face using ribbon and googly eyes and added some antenna things with floral wire and pom poms. 


A Great End to Robot Day...





Then we ended the day with Robot sidewalk chalk drawings.  We used some of the Robot books to help us with inspiration. 

This was a huge hit and by far one our best days of summer so far! 

1 comment: